What is a thesaurus and what is it used for?
What is a thesaurus anyway? A thesaurus is a reference work that lists the synonyms and sometimes antonyms of words. Synonyms are words with similar meanings, and antonyms are words with opposite meanings.
What is a thesaurus example?
The definition of a thesaurus is a book or catalog words and their synonyms and antonyms. An example of thesaurus is Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus. “Thesaurus.” YourDictionary. … www.yourdictionary.com/Thesaurus.
What is a synonym for a book?
SYNONYMS. notepad, notebook, pad, memo pad, exercise book, binder. ledger, record book, log, logbook, chronicle, journal, diary, daybook. British jotter, pocketbook.
Why is it called a thesaurus?
Etymology. The word “thesaurus” comes from Latin thēsaurus, which in turn comes from Greek θησαυρός (thēsauros) ‘treasure, treasury, storehouse’. … It was Roget that introduced the meaning “collection of words arranged according to sense”, in 1852.
What is a thesaurus best used for?
A thesaurus is used to help you become more precise (if you are working on a technical paper) and descriptive (if you are writing a creative piece) in your writing. It provides a list of suggested “replacements” for any word you have in mind. The thesaurus helps you zero in on the best word choice.
How do you use a thesaurus effectively?
How to Use a Thesaurus
- Choose a word as a starting point.
- Like a dictionary, find the word in the alphabetic arrangement.
- Once you find the word, look at the words that are listed alongside the main word.
- Choose another word that will work to replace the word that was your starting point.
What is difference between thesaurus and dictionary?
The purpose of the dictionary is to set forth the orthography, pronunciation and signification of those words. The thesaurus, on the other hand, is a specific dictionary that presents synonyms (words that have similar meaning) for every word listed.
What does thesaurus mean?
noun, plural the·sau·rus·es, the·sau·ri [-sawr-ahy]. a dictionary of synonyms and antonyms, such as the online Thesaurus.com. any dictionary, encyclopedia, or other comprehensive reference book. a storehouse, repository, or treasury.
How do you use the thesaurus in Word?
- Click the word in your document that you want to look up.
- On the Review tab, click Thesaurus.
- To use one of the words in the list of results or to search for more words, do one of the following: To replace your selected word with one of the words from the list, point to it, click the down arrow, then click Insert.
How do you describe a book?
Terms in this set (98)
- action-packed. full of action.
- addictive. Making someone want it so much that the person feels ill without it.
- adventurous. a person who likes adventure, takes rish to have an adventure. …
- amusing. funny; enjoyable.
- astonishing. surprising, amazing, astounding.
- awe-inspiring. …
- believable. …
What means opus?
An opus is a piece of classical music by a particular composer. Opus is usually followed by a number which indicates at what point the piece was written. The abbreviation op. is also used. … You can refer to an artistic work such as a piece of music or writing or a painting as an opus.
What is a very long book called?
A tome or codex is a large book, especially one volume of a multi-volume scholarly work.
What are similar words called?
A synonym is a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or a phrase. Antonyms are words which have the opposite (or nearly opposite) meaning. … Words that are synonyms are referred to as being synonymous, and the state of being a synonym is called synonymy.
What is another word for being used?
What is another word for being used?busyin useemployedreservedtied downbookedheldfullspoken forЕщё 4 строки